If you are moving to Spain to join a relative or spouse, find out about Spain's visas and permits for family reunification in Spain

August 13, 2019 – 07:51 am

Expatica Ask the ExpertNon-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens and their relatives

Everybody else – with the exception of people holding certain types of residence cards, researchers and students (see below) – has to have been living in Spain legally for one year with the authorisation to stay for another year before their relatives can come and live in Spain with them.

Your family members can join you immediately, however, If you hold:

  • an EU long-term residence permit from another EU member state,
  • an EU Blue Card, or
  • you are a student or researcher.

Which family members can join you in Spain?

Relatives that are eligible for family reunification are:

  • your spouse or civil partner (with whom you are still in a relationship);
  • unmarried dependent children, including adopted children, aged 18 years or under, of both you and your partner or spouse;
  • dependent children, grandchildren or person for whom you are a legal guardian, over 18 years old, who have disabilities;
  • dependent parents, of both you and your spouse, over the age of 65 (younger in exceptional cases).

How to apply for family reunification

  • original and copy of your own passport and copies of the passports of your family members;
  • copy of your own residence permit(s);
  • proof of the family relationships, for example, marriage and birth certificates;
  • a sworn statement that you aren’t living in Spain with another partner, if your spouse or partner is joining you;
  • evidence of your employment and/or proof that you have the means to support the family in Spain;
  • proof of health insurance;
  • evidence that there is adequate room for everyone to live with you, for example a rental contract.

Once the application has been granted, your relatives have just two months to go in person and apply for a visa at the Spanish embassy or consulate in the home country.

Moving to Spain to join a relative or partner living in SpainThey may or may not be required to have an interview, but could be asked to show the following documents:

  • valid passport;
  • proof of the family relationship, such as a marriage or birth certificate, or adoption papers;
  • a ‘no criminal record’ certificate covering the past five years;
  • a medical certificate proving that they do not have any disease which could endanger public health.

Once the visa has been granted and collected, in person, your relatives have to come to Spain within the duration of the visa (not more than three months).

Once your relatives are in Spain

When they arrive in Spain, they have a month to go to their local Foreigner’s Office and get their Foreigner’s Identification Card (TIE) with the Foreigner’s Identity Number (NIE), and register as a resident on the padrón at the local town hall.

The temporary residence permit is valid for the same length of time as the relative already living in Spain. Your spouse and dependent children older than 16 can work without applying for a work permit.

Your relatives’ residence permits can be renewed at the same time as yours. They can also apply for separate residence permits if they fulfil the conditions, for example, if they get an employment contract.

Read more:


Note: The information given here is for guidance only and you should seek specific advice from the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country.

Need advice? Post your question on Expatica's Ask the Expert service to see if we can help.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

Source: www.expatica.com

Ediciones Lea Cómo jugar y estimular a tu bebé: Actividades para desarrollar la inteligencia de nuestros hijos (Spanish Edition)
Book (Ediciones Lea)
  • This Cellet MicroSD card is specifically designed for the TerreStar Genus Smartphone!
  • Share your content collections with friends, family and colleagues easily.
  • Cellets removable storage solution is specifically designed for your device and its security.
  • Its ultra-small size consumes very little power from your handset, to give you longer battery life on your phone.
  • Now you can instantly move pictures between multiple devices for sharing and printing using this card as well.

Related posts:

  1. Family relationship Questionnaire
  2. Family relationship words
  3. Family relationship Services
  4. Family relationships names
  5. Family relationships in English