Visas for partners & children

May 4, 2020 – 10:37 am

If you are applying for a New Zealand visa based on your relationship, you and your partner will need to meet certain criteria.

  • Your partnership needs to be genuine and stable.
  • You must be living with your partner.
  • You must meet health and character requirements.
  • You must have the support of your partner.
  • Your partner must be eligible to support your application.

Check the specific requirements for your situation as they vary for temporary and resident visas.

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you also may be able to sponsor a partner's visa. However, you will need to prove that New Zealand is your primary place of residence before you can support the application.

You should also consider all visa options for coming to New Zealand, as some are eligible for more services than others.

Our wide open spaces mean you have the choice of every style of living you and your family want.

Temporary visas

You can apply for a temporary work or visitor visa to be with your partner in New Zealand if you both meet the criteria.

If your application is dependent on your partner’s temporary visa, your visa will only be valid for the same time period as theirs.

If your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident you can apply for a work or visitor visa of between 12- 24 months duration, depending on the length of the relationship.

Resident visas

You can be included as a secondary applicant in your partner’s application under most resident visa categories, including under the Skilled Migrant Category or Residence from Work. There may be an English language requirement for these applications.

You can also apply for a resident visa if you are in a relationship with a New Zealand citizen or resident, under the Family Partnership category.


Your dependent children can apply to join you in New Zealand. The Immigration New Zealand website defines when a child is considered dependent.

Temporary visa

Your dependent children can apply for student or visitor visas to be with you in New Zealand.

School-aged dependent children need a student visa to be able to attend primary, intermediate or secondary schools, and do not pay international fees unless they are in tertiary study. Children younger than school age can apply for a visitor visa. A student visa is not needed to attend pre-school in New Zealand.


The Anger Management Tool Book (Simple Tools to help Control Your Anger, Overcome Bad Temper and Improving Your Relationships with Friends and Family.)
Book (CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform)

Related posts:

  1. Repairing family relationships
  2. Explain family relationships
  3. Articles about Family relationships
  4. Research about Family relationships
  5. About Family relationships